16:07 PM

Visit Use-it

 

 

New Address:

 

Vijverhofstraat, 47

 

+31 (0)10 2409158

 

We are OPEN 24/7 !

 

Follow us on

  FACEBOOK

 

Around Central Station

Groothandelsgebouw (ENG: Wholesale Building), 1953

The Groothandelsgebouw designed by Maaskant and Van Tijen, was originally a business center with offices for wholesale companies. It used to be the symbol for the post-war reconstruction of Rotterdam. The enormous block 220x84 meters was and still is one of the largest business center in the Netherlands, which nowadays rents to a great variety of different small and large businesses. A 1.5 kilometer long road runs through the structure on three different levels. Between 2002 and 2005 the building was renovated by Van Stigt.

Stationsplein 4, the offices have no public access, but you can visit roof garden cafe or cafe Engels to get a good feeling of the building from the inside. The roof garden cafe is open whenever there is sunny weather from May till September from 11am-9pm.

 

Delftse Poort aka Nationale Nederlanden, 1991

The two towers of the Delftse Poort are 93 and 151 meters tall. The building is designed by A. Bonnema. Insurance company Nationale Nederlanden is the main user of the building.

Weena 505, no public access

 

Schouwburgplein, 1997

Schouwburgplein is the roof of a parking garage. The architect A.H. Geuze from West 8 used the river and the Harbor as inspiration for the design of the square. He used extraordinary materials, such as wood, metal and rubber, so the sound underneath your feet changes as you walk across the square. The 4 red masts, which are each 35 meters high, are shaped like harbor cranes. Architecture-lovers like the modern approach of the concept of the square, but quite a few Rotterdammers do not like the modernism of the square.

 

De Unie, 1986

The orginal De Unie got bombarded during the second World War. In 1986 the building was rebuilded on the Mauritsweg. The facade of De Unie is designed by J.J.P. Oud, who belonged to the artist collective De Stijl. The collective only used the three primary colors red, blue and yellow along with black, white and grey. All these colors are used in the facade of the building.

Mauritsweg 35

 

Stadhuis (ENG: City hall), 1920

Mayor Zimmerman decided the Coolsingel was to be an important place in the city and 2 major buildings were erected. The City Hall, designed by H. Evers, was built in neo-rennaissance style in 1914-1920. The stairs in front of the building are inspired by Dutch architecture from the 17th century. Between working hours it's possible to see the decorated entrance hall and the inner court.

Coolsingel 40

 

De Doelen

The name De Doelen has been known since 1680 but after the bombardment of the city in May 1940, it took a couple of years before the new Doelen was built at its current location. This state of the art concert and congress hall was designed by Kraaijvanger & Fledderus and built between 1955-1966. In 2000 the building was expanded with the new convention facilities and a Conservatory for Music and Theater.

Schouwburgplein 50, only public access at cafes and bars

Architecture
Architecture
Architecture
Architecture
Architecture